Monday, February 26, 2007

Regarding Ali

On Sunday about midday someone involved in a public affairs type position told me that she had been informed that Muhammad Ali had died. I, of course, revved up my engines -- cellphones, e-mails, land line phones, whatever -- to find out the truth of this. Throughout the late afternoon and evening, I heard from folks in sports and in media who'd also heard that and who, like me, eventually after going through similar anxiety, had been assured that Ali was having a grand old time, even enjoying his favorite Popsicles.

When I heard it from Howard Bingham, his longtime friend and official photographer, I believed.

Long live the King!

3 comments:

West said...

"I thought you were DEAD!"

I'd like to know how this sort of thing tends to get started (from the VERY beginning of the rumor, I mean).

ER Shipp said...

Same here. I'm going to try to backtrack with folks to find out who got info from whom and when. I don't dismiss the notion that *something* may have happened with Ali, whose health is maybe a bit iffy, but how whatever may have happened became "Ali is dead!" on the informal communications line is something to be explored.

West said...

I hope all's well on your end.


-West