Monday, April 2, 2007

To Everything There's a Season...

...and a very special one begins this week!

For some, spring is a March date on the calendar or the day we manipulate time by going into daylight savings mode.

For me, however, this week brings the convergence of what this season really means.

On the secular side, the NCAA men's championship will be decided tonight: Ohio State or Florida? Tomorrow, the women's championship will be decided. Rutgers or Tennessee? The baseball season has begun -- officially starting yesterday with the NY Mets whipping the St. Louis Cardinals 6-1; but for me, really, today, when the Yankess take on the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in Yankee Stadium.

On the sacred side, this is Holy Week. Sunday for Christians marked Palm Sunday, the day when Jesus triumphantly entered Jerusalem, greeted by followers bearing palm branches en route to sharing the Passover with his disciples. By the end of that week, he would have been betrayed, arrested, tortured, crucified and then, as Christians believe, resurrected. So this week I'll share a seder meal with my Jewish friends observing Passover and do Good Friday and Easter with my extended Christian family.

Then I'll go out to the country and start my gardening.

Spring has, indeed, sprung!

No comments: