Wednesday, January 24, 2007

She Didn't Wear Red

Did you notice how many women wore red, the color of conformity since the days of Nancy Reagan as First Lady, for the State of the Union address Tuesday?

But House Speaker Nancy Pelosi did not wear red, a sign, it seems to me, that she wants to break out of that old political mold during the two years she will be in control, leading a Democratic agenda.

President Bush, the leader of a fractured Republican Party, played nice-nice in his State of the Union address while still stubbornly hewing to his Iraq policy. But he says he wants to seriously address immigration reform, health insurance for more of the 40 million Americans who have none, better public schools for our children and tax breaks for regular folks. "Our citizens don't much care which side of the aisle we sit on, as long as we are willing to cross that aisle when there is work to be done," President Bush said.

So you go, Madame Speaker! And I mean: Go to work.

2 comments:

West said...

I was ignorant of the "red" tradition. I guess we'll soon see if this change means anything - good or bad.

Nice blog, by the way. I don't always agree, but I generally like what I see. I'll be back.

ER Shipp said...

Thanks, west. I invite disagreement because that means that we are exercising our brains and, in the process, coming up with something that makes sense.