Monday, January 29, 2007

United Negro College Fund

“A mind is a terrible thing to waste….”

“When my soul was in lost and found, you came along and claimed me….”

The first quote is the slogan of the United Negro College Fund (www.uncf.org)

The second is a line from one of Aretha Franklin’s many hit songs, celebrated in recent days on cable TV’s salute to her as a way to carry on Lou Rawls’ dedication to raise money to make dreams reality for kids of color. Before his death a year ago, he helped raise $200 million for historically black colleges and universities.

I kind of regret that I did not attend one of those HBCUs (www.edonline.com/cq/hbcu); maybe I’ll wind up my teaching days by teaching at one of them – probably in Atlanta.

In the meantime, think of contributing money or mentorship. Go to the website or call: 1-800-331-2244.

2 comments:

West said...

Unfortunately, this thing keeps eating my comments.

Short version: "I wonder how many college graduates regret not having attended an HBCU and why."

ER Shipp said...

I gained great professional advantage by attending the University of Georgia, Georgia State University and Columbia University. That, as Martha Stewart might say, "is a good thing."

But I envy alums of HBCU's who never had to defend their right to be there because of their Blackness. They had a kind of nurturing already built in. I had to seek it.